Rules of Conduct
The Rules of Conduct, listed below, has been adopted by The Board of Trustees of the Marie Fleche Memorial Library. The rules have been established in order to protect the rights and safety of the Library patrons, volunteers, and staff, and for preserving and protecting the Library’s materials, equipment, facilities and grounds.
Behavior shall include, but not limited to, the following conduct or behaviors:
- Patrons shall be engaged in normal activities associated with the use of a public library while in the building.
- Patrons shall not engage in any activity in violation of Federal, State, local or other applicable law, or Library policy.
- Patrons shall not consume food or beverages, smoke or use tobacco or tobacco products in the Library.
- Patrons shall not use or be under the influence of alcohol or controlled dangerous substances.
- Patrons shall not possess, sell, distribute, display or use any dangerous weapon upon library premises or use or threaten the use of any other object in such a manner that it may be considered a weapon.
- Patrons shall respect the right of patrons and library staff. Patrons shall not harass or annoy others by talking loudly, making noise or engaging in other disruptive behavior including the use of loud obscene or abusive language.
- Patrons shall set cell phones, pagers, and other electronic devices to silent or vibrate mode upon entering the Library and hold conversations using electronic devices outside of the building. Place keypad in silent mode when texting. Cell phones without a vibrate mode must be turned off.
- All circulating materials must be charged out in accordance with established procedures before they are removed from Library premises. Reference materials, special collections and newspapers may not be removed from the Library.
- Patrons shall not deface or mar books, magazines, newspapers, recordings or other items in the library collection; if damages occur to materials checked out appropriate fines will be applied to patron’s library account. Nor shall they deface, mar or in any way destroy or damage Library furnishings, walls, machines or other Library property.
- Patrons shall not be permitted to enter the building without proper attire or other covering of their bodies or without shoes or other footwear. Patrons, whose bodily hygiene is offensive, so as to constitute a nuisance to other patrons or staff of the Library, shall be required to leave the building.
- Patrons shall not be permitted to misuse the restrooms or facilities for purposes such as bathing, shaving or changing clothes.
- Electrical outlets provided in Library public service spaces, may only be used for laptop computers and other mobile devices. Powering of laptops takes precedence over charging of cell phones. Electrical cords attached to approved devices may not be draped across aisles, or arranged in any fashion that constitutes a safety hazard. Library patrons may not unplug Library equipment in order to access an outlet for personal use. Library staff is not responsible for equipment left unattended.
- Patrons shall not bring pets or animals into the Library other than service dogs.
- No one shall sell or distribute any item on Library premises. Solicitation of contributions or signatures for the conduction of surveys is prohibited within the library.
- The library reserves the right to inspect all backpacks, book bags, satchels, handbags, luggage and brief cases. Leaving them unattended will subject these items to immediate confiscation.
- Photography and/or any digitial/electronic recording on library premises, without the permission of the Library Administration and all those photographed/recorded, shall not be allowed.
Staff Response to Infractions:
Violation of these rules is considered misconduct that can result in expulsion from the library and forfeiture of library privileges. Minor violations of these rules will first result in library staff attempting to educate and warn individuals about the policies. If an individual continues to violate these polices, staff may order them to leave for the day. However, any conduct that threatens the life or safety of any person or that is damaging to library property, equipment or facilities may result in immediate expulsion from the library premises.
Library staff is authorized to contact the Berlin Boro Police Department to respond to such situations. Persistent or severe violations of the Library’s rules may result in the suspension of library privileges, including the right to enter or use the facility and/or borrow materials.
– Approved 9/5/2013