All Berlin Boro residents (zip code 08009) are entitled to a free library card based on proof of residency.
Adult (18 years of age or older)
- Name, address and phone number must be filled out on application. Proof of residency may be a driver’s license or two forms of identification showing the applicant’s current address if they do not have a NJ driver’s license.
- An annual fee of $10.00 per person or $25.00 per family is charged if you are a non-Boro resident.
- Students and staff in any public or private K-12 schools located in Berlin Boro may receive a free library card based on proof of current enrollment or employment. Students under 18 must have their applications signed by a parent or guardian.
- Library cards may be issued to a non-resident employee of Berlin Boro upon proof of current employment in the Boro, including police, fire fighters and other Boro employees.
- Volunteers of the library may be issued a library card as long as they continue to volunteer.
Juvenile (2–17 years old)
- Same requirements as Adult; however, a parent or guardian must sign their child’s application. The driver’s license number of the parent or guardian must be written on the back of the application.
If a library card is lost a $2.00 replacement fee will be charged.
- There is no limit to the number of books that can be borrowed; however, we do reserve the right to limit the number of books borrowed on the same subject or summer reading titles.
- Books may be borrowed for 21 days and may be renewed once unless the book is on hold for another patron.
- Adlut patrons are allowed to borrow four (4) DVD’s and juvenile patrons may borrow two (2) DVDs.
- Movie DVD’s may be borrowed for 7 days and may be renewed once unless the DVD is on hold for another patron.
- TV Series DVD’s may be borrowed for 21 days and may be renewed once unless the DVD is on hold for another patron.
- Two magazines may be borrowed at a time.
- Magazines may be borrowed for 21 days.
Patrons may check out one museum pass at a time. Passes can be checked out for 4 days. Passes may be reserved one week in advance. Passes must be returned to the Circulation Desk not put in the Book Drop.
The fine for a late Museum Pass is $10 per day. After 6 days the patron will be charged the full replacement cost of the pass.
- Patrons may reserve items that are currently checked out or on order. Reserves may be placed at the Circulation Desk. Reserves are placed on a first come, first serve basis.
- When a reserved item becomes available, the patron is notified and has 3 days to pick up the item. If the patron does not pick up the item within 3 days, the item becomes available to the next patron or is returned to the shelf.
Fines are charged on overdue materials for each day the library is open, with the following exceptions: fines are not charged for any day on which the library has a delayed opening or early closing due to a holiday, inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstance; fines are not charged on any days when the library is closed due to inclement weather.
Books: Fines are accrued on all books that are returned past their three week due date. Fine schedule is as follows: $.10 – per day/per book. The maximum fine for any book is $2.00 per book.
DVD’s: Fines are accrued on DVD’s that are returned past their seven (7) day due date. Fine schedule is as follows: $1.00 – per day/per DVD. The maximum fine for any DVD is $4.00 per DVD.
An item is declared lost if the item is reported lost by the patron who borrowed the item or the item has been overdue for more than 50 days. After 50 days the patron will be responsible for list price or replacement of the item. If a patron has an item on their record that has been declared lost, the item must be resolved before additional items can be borrowed.
If a patron returns a lost or unreturned item in usable condition within 60 days after the payment, the library will refund the amount paid, less the fines.
Once a patron provides the library with a replacement copy for a lost item in lieu of payment, the replacement copy is the property of the library and is not returned to the patron in the event the lost item is found.
Photocopying services are provided to the public. Operation of the copy machine is limited to library staff. Standard 8 ½ x 11” paper is $.10 per page black and white only.
Computer printing services are provided to the public. Standard 81/2” x 11” paper is $.10 per page for black and white and $.50 per page for color.
Fax services are provided to the public. Operation of the fax machine is limited to library staff.
- A fax transmission cover sheet is available if requested. The cover sheet will be counted as an additional page in determining costs.
- Fax transmission fees are $1.00 per page for local (856) area code. Outside local area: $1.50 for the first page and $1.00 each additional page.
- Fax transmissions may also be received. The price for receiving faxes is $.50 per page.
- Transmission errors are common and print quality is variable and not controlled by the Library. The Library is NOT responsible for successful transmission of outgoing or incoming faxes, nor is it responsible for any damage or loss of data or consequential damage arising out of the use of this service.
Revised August 8th, 2016